Select
 
 
A A A

»
Brunnhofer GmbH|History of Judenburg

History of Judenburg

  • The first mentioned as Judinburch dates from the year 1074th. Jewish merchants played at that time an important role in the trans-Alpine trade and established trading posts in the region. Judenburg was near the castle Eppenstein founded. 1224 Judenburg received the city rights, and grew up in the 13th and 14th Century at an important regional trading center that was among other things, trade with Venice drove. So was the Burger guldens Jews as the main gold coin of Austria. From this period also the still well-preserved historic old town. After several pogroms in the 14th und 15th Century have been 1496 all Styrian Jews from the country. Symbols of Judenburg is almost 76 meters high city tower, a magnificent panoramic view of the Aichfeld offers. The construction was in the 15th Century began. Originally it was used as a belfry for the nearby parish church of St. Nikolaus built, the tower has no own. He also served as a watchtower in relation to fires, which until the 19th Century, both the city and the tower itself home searched. Its present appearance of the city tower after the last major fire in 1840. Today, the tower is 50 m in height of one of the most advanced planetariums in Europe. From 1910 to 1914 droves the Judenburg Railway in town, one of the first trolleybus operations in Austria. Until the First World War was a garrison Judenburg the Kuk army. 1914 was here the Moravian military Battalion No 17. During the reign of Nazism, there were efforts, the name of the city, because of the word Jew / Jews was viewed as unacceptable to change. The discussion, however, was restricted to the period after the Second World War postponed so that a change did not come. After the end of the Second World War, 1945, was in the castle Jewish DP camps set up for so-called Jewish "Displaced Persons". External storage existed in the districts Dietersdorf, Liechtenstein, and Kobenz Murdorf. The city's coat of arms was awarded with effect from 1 June 1959 by decision of the Styrian Government, 9 February 1959 Description of the coat of arms (Blasonierung): "In a red shield White Jews with Judenhut covered head." Today Judenburg is an industrial and commercial city, in schools, inter alia, a federal school and federal school and a commercial college.
  • Economy and infrastructure
    According workplace census 2001 there are 578 workplaces with 6,060 employees in the municipality as well as 1799 and 3840 outwards inwards. There are 41 agricultural and forestry holdings (including 16 in the main acquisition), which 3791 ha (1999).
  • Politics
    Margaret Gruber notes with the Mayor.

 

This text has been generated automatically by Google Translator,

we assume no liability for translation errors